Sunday, September 6, 2026

Why are we so Diamonds and Rocks?

Well our unconvincing run into the end of the regular season finished up with a 50-20 loss to the Bali-bound Canberra Raiders. 

I, like most other Cowboys fans, was hoping this might be the game where we find some decent form before the Finals Series. Sadly it was not. So we enter the finals series with an underwhelming 2-3 record over our last 5 games (which include losses to Parramatta, the Raiders, and THAT pulverising by the Roosters).

The only thing that gives me some heart is the fact we've been Diamonds and Rocks the whole bloody season. That awesome win against the Panthers (for BigJase's 300th game) - came off three straight losses on the run in. The Roosters win at Magic Round? Came off a loss at home to Parramatta. The Broncos win to sink their finals hopes? Towelled by the Fins the week before.

It's our MO.



The next question has to be why are we so damn diamonds & rocks. And on that front I have a theory.

I think the answer lies in the history of our playing group. 

Blue chip players are hung on to tightly by clubs. And if you look at the stars of our game, they've nearly all spent their career at a single club , maybe with one high profile move to a second. Nathan Cleary, Gordon Tallis, Payne Hass, Isaah Yeo, Brad Fittler, Reese Walsh, James Fisher-Harris, Andrew Johns, Cam Smith, Jonathon Thurston, Darren Lockyer, Billy Slater, Laurie Daley, Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling - all of them one or two club players during their careers (at least during their prime anyway).

How many players in our squad are up to clubs 3 or more: Burns, Clifford, Bateman, Mikaele, Lodge, Mahoney, McIntyre. Now that's not to say these guys aren't capable of some very good footy. It does through suggest they haven't performed strongly & cconsistently across their careers - otherwise they wouldn't be at their third club.

These are the players I describe as the jouneymen of our squad. 

Then on top of that we've got Drinky, who I love as a player, but probably defines diamonds & rocks in his play. (It's worth nothing he joins his 3rd club next season). 

Some people try to slate this down to the coach, but I just can't see it. Admittedly I'm not at training but I just can't see Todd suggesting coughing up the ball in our own half or rushing out of the defensive line. In the pressers he's always about building pressure, completing set & kicking to corners. 

One could argue Payten should drop players, but we lack the depth. I don't think any Cowboys fan would be too excited about Kai O'Donnell, Rob Derby or Jaxxson Paulo coming in.

So diamond & rocks is kinda built into our squad's DNA. 

So why did we sign players like this - again comes back to our recruitment challenges. I'll be looking hard at that once the season is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why are we so Diamonds and Rocks?

Well our unconvincing run into the end of the regular season finished up with a 50-20 loss to the Bali-bound Canberra Raiders.  I, like most...